02 October 2007

La rosa de los vientos

Brillante: Guanajuato still amazes me with its colors. Despite the otherwise normalcy of a small, colonial Mexican city, I feel as if I've stepped into an explosion of shades and tones. My eyes aren't accustomed to seeing such a wide range of color and it makes me wonder why people limit themselves, or are limited, to colors that come in a rainbow or a box of crayons. Haven't they witnessed how rain water, steadily washing away paint over years, adds a subtle shadow to a cobalt-colored wall? Or how the rust from a gate adds an extra element to a maroon home? Colors are so much more than what are eyes can perceive, I've been trying to catch many of them with a photographic device that is even more limited in its capacities. Luckily, our eyes reflect.