09 March 2008

One more day on the Isla....

So, upon waking up we quickly realize that our original plan of leaving the island today is surely not going to happen. Abby is as sore as I am, with each step it feels like some large animal is grabbing onto our calf muscles with its claws. And the only part that might not have ached on me, my head, is slightly pounding from my alcoholic pain remedy from the night before.

Instead we rest and head to the Ojo de Agua, a little freshwater swimming hole with a cement bottom. Strange, but the day is nice and we can drink beer while letting our aching bodies soak in the cool water. Ok, so I didn't come to Nicaragua to drink but times (and pains) like these call for a change in attitude.

After a couple flings off the rope swing, we get in the back of Mel's pick-up truck and head to the Playa Santo Doming, an insect-ridden beach nearby. Gnats swarm all around us, trying to get into our mouths and our beers and we try in vain at first to keep our drinks covered but then just start casually picking dead gnats out of our cups. The fish we order is miserable, but the tostones (fried bananas) and cheese are perfect, and the breeze coming off the lake is nice. Aquiles and Mel tease Kari endlessly about her Costa Rican, "Tico," accent, and it feels good to just relax.

At night, Kari, Mel, and Aquiles go out dancing. Or attempt to, my body is still in a lot of pain and we get to the bar too late anyhow to do much dancing. Instead, we play pool for a little while and head back to the hotel. Unfortunately Mel gets a little drunk and irrational and that puts a sour end on the night, but I'm not too worried about it; I have my sights set on one thing: BED.