30 May 2008

de repente

Today, as I was getting on my bike and adjusting my bag and scarf to prepare myself to bajar on one of the cobbly streets that connects the neighborhood of el Cerrillo with San Cristobal's city center, I had a sudden rush of remembrance. Kalamazoo, the hills, my bike, the cool weather of fall, even Western Michigan University- I could feel it all so deeply in one profound second, I almost expected to look up and see a familiar Michigan face stroll or bike by. Ah, but then I remembered that I am in a city that I also love, where it is also beautiful to float down hills on a bicycle and feel the wind on my face, where every couple of blocks I do see a familiar face.

I'm going to miss San Cristobal. But, I know I'll be back because it's one of my eternal homes now. I'm very lucky to have so many.