27 August 2007

Movin' On

Boundaries: New York City is far too big for me to wrap my mind around. Even if I never come back, I will think of it often. It will become like an enigmatic stranger for me, I'll look for her in familiar and strange places. Or perhaps like a long-lost childhood friend, who I'll wonder about but will only find in a small dive bar in a rural Michigan town. Oh, this city, what will become of it and what has it made me. Like I told a down-trodden friend last night, "when it comes to questions like these, time's the only answer."

Direction: Now I am heading for Philadelphia for a few days. Due to my skewed, NYC-perspective, now all cities that I once thought were large and imposing seem village-like, Kalamazoo seems like an unfamiliar name on a smallish dot in Minnesota. And Petersburg? I doubt that it even exists. When I get to Mexico and come back or move on, all places, my sense of time, my sense of space will be distorted all over again, for better or worse. Or perhaps, it doesn't matter at all. It's like a game or a distraction, I suppose.